Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Saturday, September 18

Applesauce and Cookies

We took the kids to the apple orchard today. It was so much fun. I love watching my kids enjoy nature (if you can call an orchard natural!), and being out in the sunshine. I wore Rosy in my Kozy mei tai for the first time out. She slept the entire time! I kinda figured she would. Isaiah loved picking the apples and putting them in the bucket. He was a little upset that they didn't have a blue bucket for us to use, but he got over that pretty quickly.

We filled up four buckets full of apples. In case you didn't know, that's A LOT of apples! I wanted to make sure we had enough, though, because my plan is to make applesauce. When you make your own, you control exactly what is in it, like how much sugar (none in mine!), and it's cheaper than buying it at the store. And I don't make like a bowl of applesauce. I make enough to fill at least 10 quart-sized jars. I love to can, and I love to bake. I can use applesauce in place of some of the liquid in many recipes. My kids love oatmeal applesauce cookies, which even though they are cookies, and tremendously healthy. I let my kids eat just about as many as they want.


So here's how to make applesauce:
Don't bother peeling the apples; just quarter them (or use the cool apple-cutter-thing that cores and slices them into eight pieces. I would be lost without that thing!) and put as many as you can into the biggest pot you have. A stockpot works nicely. Add enough water to cover. Bring to boil, then simmer for a few minutes, until apples are semi-soft. Drain. Run apples through a food mill. This will remove seeds, skin, etc. Add a little cinnamon if you like (cinnamon balances out insulin levels, keeping you full for longer!) and voila! Applesauce. Easiest thing you'll ever do in the kitchen.


And here's Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies:

  • 3/4 c oil
  • 1 c brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 c rolled oats (not quick cooking)
  • 1 c applesauce

Mix together oil, brown sugar, and vanilla. Mix in salt, oats, and applesauce. Drop onto greased cookie sheet. Flatten with back of spoon. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Second easiest thing you'll ever do in the kitchen!




Let me know if you have any healthy and easy recipes. I am always looking for new recipes to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment