Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Tuesday, September 28

Cloth wipes

Today, I was just thinking about why I decided to start using cloth wipes. When I first started thinking about cloth-diapering, I didn't think I would use cloth wipes, too. I figured CDing would be extra work (which I now know it really isn't), so why would I add the additional work of cloth wipes, when disposables are so convenient, and not really that expensive? Well, once I started CDing, I found out why. Disposable wipes are actually INconvenient, and here's why: When you change a cloth diaper, you toss it in the diaper pail (mine is actually a rolling hamper with a liner in it), or the wetbag, if you're out and about. So why not just dump the wipe in with it, instead of having to separate them and carry the wipe to the trash can? Using cloth wipes too actually cuts down on the work. And of course the dipes and wipes are all washed together.

Now, you can buy cloth wipes online at sites like www.kellyscloset.com or www.momsmilkboutique.com They are pretty inexpensive, and come in fun colors and prints. Or, you can do what I did, and make your own. I just upcycled a few receiving blankets from Isaiah's infant days that had a little staining from spit-up and the like. I just cut them into squares, stuck the squares together in twos with the wrong sides facing out, and sewed almost all the way around the edges, leaving an open space on one side. Then I turned them right-side-out, sewed up the hole, and then all the way around the edges again. Now I have about 40 double-sided cloth wipes that only cost me the price of thread.
I keep a bottle (my peri-bottle from the hospital, actually) next to my cloth wipes, filled with my own home-made wipe solution:
two drops lavender essential oil
two drops tea tree essential oil
water

I only use these ingredients because Rosy has such very sensitive skin. But you can add all kinds of things that are good for your baby's skin, such as olive oil, almond oil, pure castile soap (I LOVE Dr. Bronner's in Peppermint), a little baby wash, etc. You can visit http://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-wipe-solution.shtml for more ideas on creating your own solution. Some recipes on this site include:

Basic Wipe Solution

This basic recipe can be adapted by changing the type of soap or oil.
1/2 cup baby oil
1/2 cup baby wash
2 cups water

Castile Solution

Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap comes in several yummy scents!
1 tablespoon almond, apricot, or other oil
1 tablespoon Dr Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap
2 drops tea tree oil
1 drop lavender oil
1 cup water

Chamomile 'n' Honey

Brew the tea, add the honey, and drink any leftovers!
1 chamomile tea bag
1 teaspoon honey
1 cup boiling water

Easy Peasy

Just three simple ingredients...
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons baby wash
1 1/2 cups water

Eight is Great

Similar ingredients as other recipes, but in different amounts.
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1/8 cup baby wash
8 drops lavender oil
4 drops tea tree oil
2 cups water
If you are thinking about cloth diapering, you should seriously consider using cloth wipes, too. It's so easy, and better for you baby's skin, than the chlorine and other chemicals that commercial disposable wipes contain.

No comments:

Post a Comment