Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Monday, September 13

Re-lactating: amazing

I have breastfed all three of my children. I am breastfeeding my youngest as we speak :) Breastfeeding is something I have always been passionate about. I disagree with the popular view that breastfeeding is like an added bonus for mama and baby. On the contrary, NOT breastfeeding is actually detrimental to the health of both. By artificially feeding (aka: formula), you are setting your baby up for more ear infections, breathing problems, skin problems, fussiness, future weight problems, etc. The list goes on and on. You also miss out on a very specific bond that, I'm sorry, you just cannot get from artificial feeding. Knowing that you are providing your baby with a full tummy, and every little chubby roll, BY YOUR OWN BODY is such an awesome thing. I know I'm gonna piss a lot of people off with this post, but this is the honest truth as I see it.

Now my husband has said that we absolutely will not be having anymore babies. However, I told him that I would love to maybe adopt a baby a little later on in life. My problem with this, though, would be how to feed the baby. I couldn't bring myself to give the poor thing something as substandard as formula, and certainly couldn't afford the milk from a milk bank. Would I be at the mercy of hopefully having a lactating friend who would be willing to BF another baby? Heck no!

Believe it or not, it is actually possible to make yourself lactate!! Now if I had actually sat down and thought about this, I'm sure it shouldn't have come as a surprise. Obviously this is just God's way of seeing to it that babies can be fed in an emergency situation, or even in the aftermath of a disaster. I have been reading up on this, and you can find the info at: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html

This is such a great site with literally EVERYTHING you could want to know about BFing. Now I can be happy knowing that if (and that's a big if) we ever decide to adopt a baby, I will not have to resort to formula as "nourishment." Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment